Thursday, September 30, 2010

Shocked.

Monday, I kept getting a thought that I was going to get fired. I couldn't figure out why because I think I'm a great, reliable employee. I really put my all into my job. I'm supporting Steve and I while he goes to school. So it's super important that I have a job.
Tuesday, same thought. So I started getting a little nervous. What in the world did I do to possibly think that I could get fired? Maybe I'm just going crazy-I don't know.
Wednesday, the first thought I had was I have got to start applying for jobs. So, that's what I started to do. I started applying for other jobs. Within one hour of applying I got a call back and they asked me to come in on Friday for an interview. WOW! That was fast. I started to get mixed emotions. I don't want a new job!! But here I am, applying for new jobs, and than get a call back. So I decided, it won't hurt to take the interview and find out more about the job..
Thursday-Today. I get into work and the entire office is quiet. Everyone looks really sad. My manager tells me to not get on the phones because we have a mandatory meeting that we need to listen too. My heart starts pounding, and my chest starts feeling heavy. Oh. my. gosh.
My company decided that they would close the entire health division. WHICH would be MY job. I generally don't go into detail about my political views on this blog, but today I am. I'm getting on my soap box...I know a lot of people are completely PRO Obama and his new HealthCare Reform ideas, but it's going to wipe out a lot of insurance companies. I know for a fact that my insurance company is/has gone out of busy because of this. A lot of people put the health insurance as the bad guys and the cause of increased of health cost. When in fact the health costs are due to all the healthcare providers and the inflated cost of healthcare. The new HealthCare Reform law that is taking place raises the premiums (cost of insurance that you-member pays), limits insurance company's profits (limiting to a 3% profit, which won't allow any business to stay a float). It really limits your own coverage because the insurance companies can't and won't be able to afford the calendar year maximum's on a plan (generally for durable medical equipment there is a 2500 cym). For example. If a person needs a CPAP machine (a machine that helps a person breathe) generally cost $6,000. Just for the machine. Insurance companies have a calendar year maximum for the year that we pay out. So that we don't go bankrupt ourselves. If we have to pay 6,000 for every single person that needs one of these machines, there is no way that an insurance company is going to survive. That's only one example. SO my point is. Eventually the healthcare becomes worse because insurance companies can't afford to pay out. You as the member get upset because your premiums sky rocket and then YOU won't be able to pay for private healthcare. On the other hand, if you want to go through the governments' healthcare system you will still be paying high premiums...which is HIGHER TAXES!!!
Okay. I'll get off my soap box and explain a little more about today.
It was a really sad day. I have a lot of friends at work who are single mom's, one just bought a house and just moved in today(she's the bread winner of the family too), my manager has cancer, there are husbands and wives that work together there..with a family. The list goes on and on. I care about the people I work with. It was so depressing to see everyone wonder "What am I going to do now?" Thankfully, the company has giving us until Nov.1 before they start terminating employees. There is no actual date of termination yet...but, it could be really any day...for me and my friends/coworkers. I'm just so extremely thankful to heavenly father for prompting me to apply for other jobs and that I already have an interview. I know without a doubt that heavenly father was watching out for Steve and I. It's amazing to know that he does know me and my circumstances and that he does care about what Steve and I have going on in our lives. We really feel so blessed.
I better get going to bed..I have the interview in the morning. Wish me luck!:)

4 comments:

Jolynne said...

Wow Kiera, I am so sorry. I don't understand how anyone can be pro Obama. It's beyond me. Its really sad. Good luck with your interview! I know you will find something!

Thelissa said...

A lot of the changes happening in the U.S. right now are crazy. Who knows what is going to happen. There is very little stability in anything. I won't go into detail, but some of the things Obama has put into place have also affected us. Not in a good way. Heaven help us all make it through the changes in our country. Good luck with your interview. Way to follow your promptings and not blow them off!

Krystal said...

that is crazy that you were getting those feelings and that you listened to that prompting to find another job. I am not a fan of this health care thing because where is the money coming from US of course. We have to fork it out. Hope the interview went well.

Erin said...

That is really sad about your job and for all of your co-workers hopefully things work out for everyone. Good luck on your interview I know you will rock it!