Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

To the best daddy-o in the whole world.

My dad and I have always had a special bond. I don't really know how to explain it. We just do.

It was pretty dang awesome being able to give my talk to my dad and have him come to our sacrament meeting. It was an honor to talk about him, and all the many things that he's done for me and how he's help mold me into the person that I am. This Father's day was a special one.

I thought I would have my talk on here, so I can go back and look at it whenever I wanted, or whenever my dad wanted.

so here it is:

The main focus today is on our dads. So Happy Father’s day to the father’s out there!

I’m excited to talk about the influence that father’s have. I’ve had a lot of great father figures in my life, but since I’m limited on time I wanted to focus on two father figures that have had a huge impact on me, and have helped mold me to the person that I am today.

I’m first going to talk about my cute daddy-o. I’ve always been really close to my dad. Starting from when I was young I have always been a daddy’s girl. I find myself to be a lot like him in a lot of ways. My dad is not one to be very outspoken, but he has taught me a lot through his actions.

My dad is a great listener. He doesn’t interrupt; he shows interest and just listens until I’m done talking. This has been a great influence on me, because I’ve been able to talk to him about things that I need advice on. My dad helped influence my decision to marry Steve. Which was the most important decision of my life. My dad wasn’t very fond of other guys I dated, but when I met Steve dad spoke nothing but good things about him and how great of a guy Steve is for me. Words from my dad always mean a lot to me.

My dad is super funny. He always knows a good joke, and knows how to brighten anyone’s day. Anytime we are having a family get together, he will always play a practical joke on someone or get someone laughing. One that sticks out to me was when my aunt was talking with me and she just kept hitting her ear. Before I ask her what’s she’s doing, my dad is crouched behind her holding a wadded piece of toilet paper tickling her ear. Making her believe that there is a bug in her ear. Dad’s taught me to have a sense of humor, to enjoy life and to have a good laugh every now and then.

My dad is kind. He’s always there to help anyone. Whenever someone is in need, he’ll stop what he is doing and help. Steve and I were going to the temple one day, and our car starting smelling like smoke, so we had to pull over. We were able to pull over safely and as we did the car died. It wasn’t very pleasant weather outside, it was raining and it was cold. We called my dad to come and get us. As soon as he got the call from us, he was on his way. Through his example, I’ve learned the importance of being kind to others and to help those in need.

My Dad is a hard worker. My dad has always been a hard worker. He grew up on a farm helping his parents with all the chores that needed to be done. I come from a big family. I have six siblings. My dad has always been able to provide for us. He’s always working on something and showing the example of the importance of working hard. I know that by working hard now, it will help us in the future. It’s important to have a great work ethic.

My dad is a worthy Patriarch of the home. We’ve been able to go to him and ask for father’s blessings, which have helped me in times of need. I’ve asked my dad to give me a blessing every time I went to school. The blessing would comfort me, and help me throughout the school year.

When I lived at home, my dad also had inspiration and insight to know what’s best for me and to give me guidance.

The second father figure is my father in heaven. My father in heaven has given me everything. He’s given me the spirit I have and this life that I enjoy. I wouldn’t be, if it weren’t for him.

My father in heaven is a great listener. I pray to him everyday, and just talk with him. I know that he’s listening just by the feelings that I feel and know that he’s there. He knows me, he knows my heart and just like my dad, he gives me advice through promptings of what I should do.

When I moved away from home, for the first time for school I felt extremely overwhelmed and sad. I’m the oldest in my family and it was really hard for me to leave my siblings. My sister Kartier, is just a little over a year younger than me and we would always sleep next to each other at night. I remember lying in my bed by myself feeling so sad missing my family and thinking how am I possibly going to live away from them? I got this prompting to say a prayer. I knelt at my bedside and prayed to my father in heaven to help me. He listened, and he helped me to know that I’m not alone, that he is always there. I could feel his love for me.

3 nephi 14:7-11 (He gives to those who ask)

Heavenly Father is Kind. He is the perfect example of how we should be. He gave his only begotten son, Jesus Christ that we might have eternal life and have all that he has. He knows each one of us individually, he knows our joys, and he knows are pains. He’s always there for us; it’s just up to us to get on our knees and to pray to him.

Luke 6:36, “Be ye therefore merciful, as your father in heaven is also merciful.”

The reason he is so kind, is because he has unconditional love for all of his children, for every single one of us. We make mistakes and because of the atonement we are able to repent and be forgiven. Our father in heaven is very forgiving.

One perfect example is found in Luke 15: 11-24, 31-32 this shares the story of the prodigal son. Which highlights the attributes of our father in heaven, it’s easy to focus on the son who made the mistake, and was able to repent but it shows the love our father in heaven has for his children.

I’ve shared these two comparisons of both of my fathers, as you can see, they have impacted my life. Fathers have an important role.

In the Proclamation of the family it shares “By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families.”

And President Ezra Taft Benson couldn’t of said it beter: "Fathers, yours is an eternal calling from which you are never released. Callings in the church, as important as they are, by their very nature are only for a period of time, and then an appropriate release takes place. But a father’s calling is eternal, and its importance transcends time. It is a calling for both time and eternity"


After the block, Steve and I went over to my parents house and had dinner with the fam! Dad bbq his famous hamburgers and everyone enjoyed each others company.





Then we headed over to grandma Ford's and ate delish treats and hung out!









We celebrated Father's Day with Bob the night before since he had to leave for Alabama for business. We had a fun time with Bob too. I'm sure grateful for Bob, and for the great example he is. He's taught my husband a lot. He's taught Steve to be a hard worker, to have respect for me, and shows so much kindness.

Happy Father's day Dad's! I sure LOVE you to pieces!!

No comments: