Thursday, October 24, 2013

34 Week Surprise.

On Tuesday, it was another day on bed rest.  I was officially at 34 weeks and feeling stoked that lil' man was still cookin'.
Steve went into work and it seemed like another normal day.  Around 12:30 I started to feel a little bit  of cramps in my back.  It quickly turned into a lot of cramps and I could tell it wasn't just a back ache, it was turning into contractions.  I called my dad and asked him to get me my medication that stops contractions.  Ellen knocked on the door after I got off the phone with my dad and she got me my medication.  Generally the medication works pretty quickly, but this time it was different.  I called Steve to tell him what was going on and that it would be a good idea if he could take me to the hospital. My dad came and since the contractions weren't slowing down we told Steve to meet me at the hospital and my dad would take me to the hospital.

I had a lot of things going on in my mind.  Mainly fear.  I wish that wasn't the case but it's true.  I was super nervous and worried that something could go wrong since I still had my stitch!  It's a good thing my dad was with me.  He knows how to be calm and knows how to say the right things.
The contractions kept coming and they were definitely not going away.
Steve was waiting outside the hospital with a wheelchair, it made me happy to see him.  Steve wheeled me into labor and delivery and the contractions kept coming.  As we waited for the admit desk, a very cheerful medical student came up to us wanting to chit-chat. thank you.  I know he meant well, but I really was in no mood to be cheerful and my back was really starting to hurt!! I feel a little bad now, I think I might have scowled at him.

When we got to the room, everything seemed to be moving very quickly. The nurse hooked me up to a monitor to watch Bex heart rate and my contractions.  Bex heart beat was perfect, and my contractions kept coming.  We made sure the nurse was aware that I had a cerclage and that we didn't want my cervix tearing. The nurse checked my cervix and she said that I was dilating, so she said we would most likely have to remove it. After she checked my cervix I felt really nauseous and puked.

Steve is wonderful, he would rub my back and ask if I needed anything. So glad he was by my side.
My doctor happened to be gone and so another doctor from the same practice was going to remove the stitch.  This doctor is also a really good doctor, but I have so much confidence in my doctor.  I think I would have felt more at ease if he was there.  The doctor told Steve and I the stitch has done it's job and has gone as far as we could leave it in without it doing damage.  So, we told him we would be fine with him removing the stitch.  Before the procedure, Steve was able to give me a blessing and I'm so grateful that he did.  I felt at peace and knew that everything would be okay.

The procedure went well, it was painful but only lasted 15-20 min.  It really wasn't as bad as what I had imagined it to be.  Beckham's heart rate jumped to 200bpm and he was going crazy in my stomach!  The nurse and doctor said that he was fine, he was just being very active.  He was probably thrilled to not be so confined with that stitch at his head 24/7.  The doctor said that my cervix was 90% effaced and between 1-2 dilated.  No one knew if I was going to have Beckham or how quickly things would progress, so we camped out at the hospital for a few hours.
My doctor was contacted and he advised that I get a shot to slow contractions down to see if that would work.  Well, the medication worked and all contractions stopped.  Beckham calmed down, and we sat in the hospital bed waiting.  After a few hours we got the okay to go home.  I was relieved.  Steve, was a little disappointed.  On the ride home the contractions started up again, but once I laid on the couch they would go away.

It's now Thursday night and still no baby!  I'm very happy!!!! I'm that much closer to 35 weeks.  Every day counts.  I feel he's coming soon though, and my body is prepping for him.  Anytime I get up for the bathroom now I get a ton of pressure and Beckham is slowly getting lower.  I can feel it.  Beckham has been more active and last night he wouldn't stop moving around.  I think he's getting anxious to make his appearance.  I go in for a check up tomorrow and we will see what happens.  I'm nervous, but very excited.  I can't wait to see what our little boy looks like.


J+M=L said...

Oh my goodness, it's getting soooo close! Glad you could keep him cooking a few more days! Can't wait for the birth announcement!

Krystal Marks said...

Yay its so close but glad he gets more time to "cook". Hang in there your almost there, I hope everything goes smoothly and that your little guy is healthy when he makes his appearance.

Lindsay said...

Yay!!! I've been worried about you every day...wondering when he'll come! Hang in there, good luck!!!