Saturday, July 27, 2013

Miracles Happen-Part 1

On Father's day,  I started to get a little crampy in my lower back and I started to feel some pressure.  I really thought that it could be from my belly growing.  But I was extra cautious and didn't hold any of the  little one's during our family party.  You know when you get those feelings that something just isn't feeling quite right?  Before leaving my parents house I got super emotional.  As soon as I hugged my dad and told him how much I loved him, I lost it.

Monday, I went to work and I was still feeling that same feeling.  Crampy, pressure and this feeling that something could be wrong.  I called my nurse to tell her my concerns.  She told me she thought it was a good idea if I had an ultrasound done and then a urinalysis.  The technician at the office was booked for the day, so she asked that I go across the street to this imaging office and than after come in and do the urinalysis.  
I felt relief knowing I could see Beckham and make sure everything is going ok.  I called Steve and let him know that I'm going to go get checked.  Steve hasn't missed any dr. appointments and he wanted to come, but I let him know that everything would be fine.  (He was in the middle of working at Costco rotations).

I went to the imaging office and the technician was super nice.  I saw Beckham kicking around and waving his cute hand.  I asked the technician how Beckham looked and if everything looked the way it should be.  He told me that everything looks good from what he could see and Beckham is measuring a week a head of schedule.  He told me he would send the images to my doctors office and if something doesn't seem right, they will let me know. 
I was feeling confident again, and sent Steve a quick text letting him know everything is fine! Beckham is even growing a week a head of schedule!:)

I than went to my doctors office and did the urinalysis, as I was a about to leave my nurse came over and told me she needed to speak to me.  My heart sunk.  I started to get worried.
She sat me down and told me that my cervix is thinning.  She said that it can be common, and I'll need to come in and have another ultrasound on Thursday.  She said if it keeps thinning I'm going to need to get a serclage- ( sew the cervix shut).  Connie, the technician at my doctors office walked by and Cindy(my nurse) introduced me to Connie.  She told me that I'll be seeing her on Thursday, and she would be checking my cervix often throughout the next couple weeks.
Connie said she could do a quick look right now.  Cindy, said "Connie, your busy! You have a lot of people to look at it."  Connie said, "no it's fine. Ill do a quick look". Connie takes me and does another ultrasound.  She than tells me my cervix is a lot thinner than what the first technician had originally seen.

My cervix at this point should be at a 3.8 centimeters, the first technician said it was at a 2.8 and it was really only at a 1.5.  TALK ABOUT A MIRACLE that Connie wanted to check and look again.
My doctor took  me in his office and told me the plan.  He was very serious, and told me that if I want to save this baby we need to do emergency surgery in 2 hours.  They would need to sew my cervix shut.  I was going into pre term labor.  I told my doctor I would do anything. I said I'll plan on surgery in two hours.  I than started to cry.  The tears just kept coming and coming.  I felt so much fear and hopelessness.  I could lose my baby.  The baby that we prayed for, for so many years. Cindy took me aside and kept hugging me. Telling me everything is going to be fine. She asked if she could get a hold of Steve for me.  I told her that I could call him.  I called Steve and he wasn't answering (he had his phone on silent since he was working) so I call my mom.  I'm crying and asking my mom and dad to meet me at the hospital.  I still couldn't get a hold of Steve so I sent him a text. Reading: Call me ASAP please! I have to go in for surgery.  Steve calls me and asks me what happened and what surgery. I told him everything.  Steve left work and met me at the hospital.




5 comments:

J+M=L said...

Oh Keira! I'm so sorry! Thank goodness for following promptings. I knew you were on bed rest but wasn't sure why. Hope everything went well with the cerclage

Thelissa said...

Well, you cant end your story there! I see it says part 1... uh... I need part 2. I'm sitting here all teary eyed for you.

Steve and Brooke said...

Oh my goodness!!!! Can't wait to read more.....

Emily said...

Keira! How scary! I like that you titled this post the way you did so I know miracles are coming! Hope you and your sweet baby boy are okay!

Jenny said...

Oh my! I had no idea! I'm thankful for miracles!